Monday, June 18, 2007

Florida property tax reform

So far from what I have read I am not impressed with the new property tax proposal. I am all in favor of doing something with property taxes but it seems this new bill misses the mark. I really think rolling back assessed values and portability of homestead is necessary. The current system is unfair to snowbirds and landlords and the new tax proposal does nothing to fix this. The 2nd home owners are here 3 or 4 months a year but have to pay more in taxes than someone who lives here full time. I imagine many of them will get fed up and want to sell. Which leads to even more property on the market and downward pressure on prices. With so many tax plans out there I am surprised they chose this one to support. I guess they were trying to appeal to the voting masses.

The state of Colorado seems to have a good system. In 1992, voters there approved a measure that limited year-to-year increases in government spending to the rate of inflation plus population growth. Any revenues collected in excess of that amount were to be returned to taxpayers. Local governments there can always ask the taxpayers for permission to spend more than the constitutionally prescribed limits. Colorado's model boosts economic growth, which, like Florida, is driven in large part by secondary homeowners. Colorado relies more on sales taxes than property taxes so as not to kill the secondary home market.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marc,

Thanks for the great column. I'd love to hear how you feel the auction went. The Michael Saunder blog painted a picture that wasn't too rosy. Are you able to post some real numbers for any of the properties?

thanks,
a Ritz Tower Residences condo owner

5:07 PM  
Blogger Marc Rasmussen said...

I thought the auction went very well. Many of the sellers were very happy with the outcome. The buyers of the properties felt they paid a fair price under the current market conditions. For some sellers I think an auction is a great option.

I can't post any numbers until they close.

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home